Other Attractions in West Flanders
In addition to the well-known historical cities of Bruges, Ypres, and Kortrijk, there are numerous other fascinating attractions in West Flanders waiting to be discovered. Below is a list of some of the most beautiful:
- The Yser Tower in Diksmuide Address: IJzerdijk 49, Diksmuide The Yser Tower is an impressive peace monument commemorating the fallen of World War I. At 84 meters high, it is the tallest peace monument in the world. Visitors can climb the tower to enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding area and the nearby nature reserve 'De Blankaart'.
- Damme and the Uilenspiegelmuseum Address: Kerkstraat 5, Damme The picturesque Damme is a historic town on the Damse Vaart, known for its beautiful old buildings, including the town hall and the Church of Our Lady. Visit the Uilenspiegelmuseum, dedicated to the legendary Flemish folk hero Tijl Uilenspiegel, and learn more about his adventures and life in the Middle Ages.
- Loppem Castle Address: Steenbrugsestraat 26, Loppem Loppem Castle is a romantic neo-Gothic castle, surrounded by a beautiful park with ponds and a maze. The castle was built in the 19th century and is now open to the public. Admire the rich interiors and art collection, and explore the surrounding park with its many walking paths.
- Saint-Sixtus Abbey of Westvleteren Address: Donkerstraat 12, Westvleteren The Saint-Sixtus Abbey of Westvleteren is a Trappist monastery famous for its world-renowned Westvleteren beers. Although the monastery itself is not accessible to the public, you can enjoy a Westvleteren Trappist beer and a snack at the visitor center "In de Vrede". You can also learn more about the monks' lives and their brewery here.
- Tyne Cot Cemetery in Passendale Address: Vijfwegestraat, Passendale Tyne Cot Cemetery is the largest Commonwealth military cemetery in Belgium and an important World War I memorial site. Nearly 12,000 soldiers are buried here, many of whom could not be identified. The impressive Tyne Cot Memorial to the Missing honors the 35,000 missing soldiers from Britain and New Zealand. A visit to this cemetery is a moving and impressive experience.
- Saint Bavo's Cathedral in Roeselare Address: Grote Markt 26, Roeselare Saint Bavo's Cathedral in Roeselare is a beautiful neo-Gothic building, located on the Grote Markt. The cathedral, built in the 19th century, is known for its imposing stained-glass windows and the impressive organ. In addition to religious services, cultural events and concerts are regularly organized here. The cathedral is an architectural masterpiece and well worth a visit.
- Veurne Address: Grote Markt, Veurne Veurne is a historic town with beautiful market squares, such as the Grote Markt, and impressive monuments such as the Town Hall and the Saint Nicholas Church. The charming town center and atmospheric streets make Veurne a pleasant destination to explore.
West Flanders is a province full of surprises and breathtaking attractions. From historical cities to nature parks and from impressive monuments to cozy coastal towns, you will not be bored for a moment during your visit to this versatile region. Venture out and discover the treasures of West Flanders for yourself!